About Me

My photo
I write novels for teens and adults. Visit me here & on my website http://www.jenniferarcher.net

Thursday, January 08, 2009

2009. . . So Far


Happy New Year everyone! This photo of my motley crew and me (minus my husband)was taken in Nashville over Thanksgiving. My youngest son attends college at MTSU and we all spent Turkey Day there.

2009 has arrived baring its teeth and snarling, "Don't mess with me!" If the months ahead are anything like this one has been so far, I have a feeling its going to be a very interesting year that will keep me on my toes. Here's what's happened in my little corner of the world to date:

1) My youngest son (and my husband and I) brought in the New Year in the ER. My son was flat on his back on a stretcher, wearing a neck brace, and with the back of his head gushing blood. He was a passenger in an auto accident. The driver rolled his SUV when he reached down (and simultaneously glanced down) to pick up a CD he'd dropped. When he looked up again, the road had curved but he had not. On instinct, he jerked the wheel. The passenger side roof of the Explorer took the initial impact of the roll and caved in, hitting the top/back of my son's head. Luckily, a woman on the same road saw the accident happen and pulled over to help. My son didn't realize he had a head wound and thought he was okay and was trying to climb out the driver's side door since his wouldn't open. The woman saw that he was bleeding and called
911. He went by ambulance to the hospital, but was able to call us first so that we were there when he arrived. We were very fortunate. Although it looked as if he'd been in a knife fight, he didn't have a laceration at all. Basically, he was scalped! He also had some minor injuries to his hands. Rather than think about what a terrible experience this was, I'm choosing to focus on the fact that he can wiggle his toes . . . and breathe. The situation could have easily ended in a tragedy. If he had been one inch taller, according to those who saw the car afterward, it WOULD have ended in a tragedy. I thank his guardian angel daily. And perhaps for the first time ever, he is really glad he's short!



2)My writer buddy Travis Erwin watched his house burn to the ground early in the morning of January 4th. You can read about the experience on Travis'blog. Again, I am telling myself that 2009 was kind because his two little boys were spending the night with their grandmother. And Travis and his wife, Jennifer, got out unharmed. Still, they lost pretty much everything other than each other. To help them rebuild their lives, a couple of Travis' blogging buddies started the Habitat For Travis Erwin blog and fund. Check it out and buy a brick if you can. It's easy to donate. Just use the Paypal button on the site.

3)Unless you're an animal love, this may sound trivial in comparison to the above, but for the rest of us, our pets are members of the family. Buddy, a shelter dog belonging to my niece and her husband, started having seizures day before yesterday and had to be rushed to an emergency vet. So far, the cause of the seizures has not been determined. As my father-in-law used to say, "Damned old dogs." It's just too easy to become attached to the mutts!

On another note, I am picking up where I left off on my Do Something New weekly challenge asap. The holidays sidetracked me! I'll report in soon. Also, I saw a few movies over the holiday. Both of my sons were here for Christmas. We celebrated early with the extended family with big meals, games, and a lot of laughs. Then, on Christmas day, we went to a movie -- just the four of us. We saw The Curious Incident of Benjamin Button and I loved it. It is a very character-driven story. Brad Pitt was fantastic, and even though the movie was long, I was memsmerized the entire time. On New Year's eve (before the accident!) my husband and I and my sis and her hubby saw Doubt. Not a feel good movie by a long stretch! Meryl Streep and Philip Seymour Hoffman both did an incredible job of acting, as usual. The story isn't entertaining, but is very thought provoking. And the movie is beautifully done. Writer types will appreciate the presentation. Then, at home I watched an older Independent movie that I rented from Netflix called The King of California, starring Michael Douglas. I have a soft spot for quirky stories and I LOVED this one. He did a wonderful job with the part, as did the young actress that co-starred. (Can't recall her name.)

On the reading front, I read a few books that I will talk about in my next post. Most interesting was a Young Adult novel my new editor recommended called THE ADORATION OF JENNA FOX. Stay tuned.

I hope your 2009 is starting out more peacefully than mine!

Happy Reading,

Jenny

Visit my website

3 comments:

desperatewriter said...

Maybe you're just getting all of the icky stuff out of the way right off the bat!

Here's to a better year ahead! (Though you are, as usual, approaching the hardships optimistically!)

anita said...

Great post, Jenny! I need to get on my LJ and leave a post for Travis this weekend, so more people can hit his blog and help out.

BTW, I can't wait to hear what you thought about that YA!

TTYS!

Anita

Travis Erwin said...

Hey, it's got to get better right?

Thanks on behalf of my entire family. The support we have received has been very humbling and much appreciated. Thanks to the caring of our many friends we will get through this. I hope your son is mending nicely and is already back to his music. Or was it not that son? Anyway thanks again, your friendship means a lot to me.