About Me

My photo
I write novels for teens and adults. Visit me here & on my website http://www.jenniferarcher.net

Thursday, May 01, 2008

The Bronze Horseman--Friday Book Recommendation


I'm posting my Friday book recommendation a day early since I'll be away from my computer tomorrow. And please hop on over to author Candace Havens' blog to check out her book recommendation, as well. It is DARKEST NIGHT, in Gena Showalter's new Lords of the Underworld series, and it sounds like a fantastic read!

Now for my pick: I can't tell you how much I loved, Loved, LOVED THE BRONZE HORSEMAN by Paulina Simons, published originally in 2001. This epic World War 2 love story is told from the point of view of Tatiana, a young Russian girl in love with a Russian (American born) soldier. Author Paulina Simons dedicated the novel to her Russian grandparents, and I can't help but think at least some of the story is based on their own. Much of the book is heartwrenching, as Russia in WWII was not a cheerful place, and the characters' very true-to-history, difficult experiences are not sugarcoated in the story, but it is a compelling read. This is a big, fat book and, still, I was sorry when it ended. I found the follow-up, TATIANA & ALEXANDER, and enjoyed every minute of it, too.

Here is some of what Amazon has to say about THE BRONZE HORSEMAN: "...an epic tale of passion, betrayal, and survival in World War II Russia. Leningrad, 1941...two sisters, Tatiana and Dasha Metanov, live in a cramped apartment, sharing one room with their brother and parents. Such are the harsh realities of Stalin's Russia, but when Hitler invades the country, the siege of its cities makes the previous severe conditions seem luxurious. Against this backdrop of danger and uncertainty, Tatiana meets Alexander, an officer in the Red Army whose self-confidence sets him apart from most Russian men and helps to conceal a mysterious and troubled past.... With bombs falling and food becoming scarce, Tatiana and Alexander are drawn to each other in an impossible love that threatens to tear her family apart and reveal his dangerous secret -- a secret as destructive as the war itself. Caught between two deadly forces, the lovers find themselves swept up in a tide of history at a turning point in the century that made the modern world.

Mesmerizing from the very first page to the final, breathtaking end, The Bronze Horseman brings alive the story of two indomitable, heroic spirits and their great love that triumphs over the devastation of a country at war."


Happy Reading,

Jenny

Jennifer Archer

2 comments:

Sandra Ferguson said...

Thanks for the recommendation.

Nice to see WWII stories on the shelf. I love this era.

Travis Erwin said...

Seems like Russia is becoming popular in fiction these days.