About Me

My photo
I write novels for teens and adults. Visit me here & on my website http://www.jenniferarcher.net

Thursday, October 18, 2007

Books, Books, and More Books

I've found some great reads over the past months. Lots of different tones and genres depending on my mood. Here are a few:

OVERKILL by Linda Castillo. A scary, well-written romantic suspense guaranteed to keep you turning pages through the night. The protagonist isn't the typical romance heroine. I loved her rough edges and angst!

CONFESSIONS OF A WEREWOLF SUPERMODEL by Ronda Thompson. This is my friend Ronda's first mainstream novel and her last book. Sadly, she passed away in July. (See my post below)A fun and unique premise. Ronda's wonderful voice rings true throughout!

LIKE FAMILY: GROWING UP IN OTHER PEOPLE'S HOUSES: A MEMOIR by Paula McLain. I picked up this book at the library in order to research the lives of foster children. I ended up reading it for more than research. The writing is unsentimental, poetic and frank. I was by turns, touched, mortified and heartbroken by the story.

HOUSE OF SAND AND FOG by Andre Dubus. I read this while on vacation at the beach. Not a light, breezy beach read for sure! Depressing but thought-provoking. Horrifying but skillfully and beautifully written. This is a story I can't stop thinking about, even months later.

INTENSITY by Dean Koontz. Oh my gosh. This is one of the scariest novels I've ever read. If you shy away from Dean Koontz because you don't like supernatural stories, try this one. What happens in this story, could happen in real life, which makes it all the more frightening. The roller coaster ride of terror starts in Chapter One and doesn't stop until the end. The thing I love about Koontz is that his books are more than horror and/or suspense; they are great character studies, too.

THE PACT by Jodi Picoult. This was my first Jodi Picoult novel and after finishing it I promptly headed for the bookstore to buy another of her titles. I literally could not put it down. I admit that I did question one key character's motivation for behaving the way he did, but that didn't keep me from staying glued to the pages until the end. A great read.

MY SISTER'S KEEPER by Jodi Picoult. Very intriguing premise. Beautiful writing. This author is difficult to categorize. This novel is literary in style, commercial in concept, a romance, a courtroom drama, suspense. I loved this book.

THE BOOK THIEF by Markus Zusak. A cross-over novel -- meaning it appeals to and has been marketed to both a young adult audience and an adult audience. I was intrigued to see WWII through the eyes of a young German girl. This is a beautiful, heartbreaking, wonderful story. READ IT. That's all I can say!

ON BLUE FALLS POND by Susan Crandall. This book was a 2007 RITA Award finalist in the Novel With Strong Romantic Elements category. Features a heroine tortured by a tragedy in her past, and a hero dealing with very real family difficulties in his present. I loved the small town setting and the true-to life characters and situations. A lovely story.

CHARMED AND DEADLY by Candace Havens. Candy Havens books are always fun and fast-paced and this one is no exception! The latest adventures of Bronwyn the kick-butt witch will keep you laughing as you continue to turn the pages late into the night!

Those are a few that come to mind at the moment. I'll post more as I remember them!

Happy Reading,

Jenny

www.jenniferarcher.net

6 comments:

Desperate Writer said...

What did I tell you about THE BOOK THIEF? Huh? BEAUTIFUL! It is simply beautiful.

I loved OVERKILL, ON BLUE FALLS POND, and CONFESSIONS OF A WEREWOLF SUPERMODEL, too.

Now, though, I am curious about the Jodi Picoult books.....

dee said...

hmm...I guess this is a testiment to how little fiction I've read lately....but I'll have to pick some of these up!!

Jennifer said...

Dee and April,

I think you would really enjoy the Jodi Picoult books.

Travis Erwin said...

I too am a fan of Jodi Picoult. The end of My Sisters Keeper was very powerful. Vanishing Acts is also very good.

annette said...

I just finished Jodi Picoult's Plain Truth this morning (when I should have been working on my NaNo story) and have read My Sister's Keeper and Nineteen Minutes. Plan to work my way through her backlist as they are all wonderful.

Speaking of books, really looking forward to Annie on the Lam. I have all your Next books and am disappointed the line has been discontinued. Heard a rumor that they may come back in trade, so keeping my fingers crossed that this is true. If not, I'm confident that these books will find a market. :-)

Jennifer said...

Travis and Annette,

I definitely plan to read the Picoult books I've missed.

There is a possibility that Next will come back in trade, which is what I think it should've been all along. Should know something soon, and I'll make sure to keep you posted!